Top Tips for Boat Trailer Safety
There are many reasons to love the sport of boating – it can be relaxing, exciting, entertaining and even rejuvenating. But hauling a boat on a trailer and launching it at the busy launch ramp can have its challenges. In fact, it can be downright stressful and dangerous and is often wrought with mishaps.
It’s not too early to start getting your boat trailer in tip-top shape. To help make sure you can haul your boat to its destination and into the water smoothly, check out this basic trailering checklist from discoverboating.com.
Before you Tow Your Boat Trailer, be Sure:
- Coupler, hitch and hitch ball are of the same size
- Coupler and safety chains are safely secured to the hitch of the tow vehicle
- All fasteners are properly tightened
- Boat is securely tied down to trailer (winch line is not a tie down)
- Wheel lug nuts are properly tightened
- Wheel bearings are properly adjusted and maintained
- Load is within maximum load carrying capacity
- Tires are properly inflated
- All trailer lighting is working properly
- Trailer brakes are properly adjusted and working (if trailer is so equipped)
- Brakes and additional equipment meet all local and state requirements
At Chamberlain Insurance, we want your boating adventures to be enjoyed on the water instead of experiencing frustration on the boat ramp or on the road.